- Love 1. Dog (directed by Florin Șerban, drama) – Ou first recommendation is a Romanian film starring Valeriu Andriuță and Cosmina Stratan and it’s a visceral love story between a solitary forest ranger and a woman abandoned in the woods. A story isolated in time and space which explores a love that builds on fear, anger and possessiveness.
The film can be watched on Sunday, February 24th, at 6:30 PM, at the Peasant Museum Cinema.
- Oh, Ramona! (directed by Cristina Jacob, comedy) – This feature follows Andrei’s transformation from a teenager into an adult who finds himself incapable of making a choice between the two love stories he lives in parallel: his first love story is innocent but unrequited, while the second one is intense and crazy.
If you want to find out more about the shooting experience and the challenges encountered by the film crew, check out our #BehindTheScreen interview with Cristina Jacob about Oh, Ramona!, made exclusively for Films in Frame.
Oh, Ramona! had its national premiere on February 14th and can be watched this weekend on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Movieplex Cinema, Grand Cinema & More, Happy Cinema, Cine Globe Titan, Hollywood Multiplex and Eforie Cinema. More info on its schedule can be found here.
- The Favourite (directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, biography, comedy) – The action takes place at the beginning of the 18th century when England is at war with the French. Queen Anne (played by Olivia Colman) is on the throne but her friend, Lady Sarah (Rachel Weisz), governs the country instead. When Abigail (Emma Stone) arrives at the castle as a servant, her charm seduces Sarah, who takes her under her wing.
If you’re curious what happens further in The Favourite, you can watch the film on Friday, Saturday or Sunday at Grand Cinema & More, Movieplex Cinema, Happy Cinema Liberty Mall and Cine Globe Titan. More on screening hours and tickets – here.
Films that you can watch at home, on TV or online:
- Everybody in our family (directed by Radu Jude, comedy, drama) – As usual, our first recommendation is from our friends at Cinepub. A Romanian film which had its world premiere in 2012 at the Berlin International Film Festival (Forum section) and was rewarded with the Heart of Sarajevo, the highest prize of Sarajevo International Film Festival. Nearly 40 years old, Marius is divorced. His ex-wife, Otilia, remarried with an accountant. Their five-year-old daughter, Sofia, lives with her mother, which causes Marius a constant frustration. According to the law, Marius can spend only a limited time with his daughter. When Marius wants to take Sofia to the seaside for a short holiday, he find outs that his ex-wife is not at home and that the little girl is sick.
The movie can be watched online on Cinepub right here.
- Rocker (directed by Marian Crișan, drama) – The film tells the story of Victor, a 45-year-old rocker, whose love for his son Florin goes beyond the limits of what is socially and morally acceptable. His day-to-day life orbits around his son who is a drug addict. Desperate and ready to overcome any obstacle in order to ensure his son’s happiness, Victor gets to the point of stealing and therefore humiliating himself.
The film can be watched on TV, on Saturday, February 23rd, on TVR3 at 23:10.
- The Revenant (directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu, adventure) – A movie that doesn’t need any other introduction, The Revenant is the film that won three Academy Awards in 2016 – Best Director, Best Actor in a Leading Role and Best Picture.
The film can be watched on TV on Sunday, February 24th, at 22:15 on PRO TV and PRO TV HD.
An article by Romina Banu
English translation by Andreea Toader