The fifth edition of Ceau, Cinema is an edition dedicated to the beloved audience, with a non-competitive section featuring documentaries about the end of the Communism (with film premieres scheduled at the Summer Garden), a retrospective of Andrei Ujică’s projects, a programme focusing on Florin Iepan and a tribute to Răzvan Georgescu.
This year’s film competition is dedicated to filmmakers from countries with traditional minorities in the Banat region. The six films selected by the film critic Ionuț Mareș can win three different awards: Ceau Grand Price (1500 EUR), Vitas Award for Independent or Debut Film (1000 EUR) and Audience Award (500 EUR).
Probably the most expected section of this year’s programme is the Andrei Ujică retrospective, where three of his films will be screened: Videograms of a revolution, Out of the present and The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceaușescu.
This festival’s programme is diverse and full of films which are worth watching. ADFR has prepared five recommendations for you:
- The “Subversive Section” features three unconventional films, including The Reenactment of Lucian Pintilie, scheduled on July 22nd, at 3:00 PM at Gottlob.
- The story of a summer lover is the third and newest feature film of Paul Negoescu, which is scheduled in the opening night, July 19th, at 10:00 PM.
- Videograms of a revolution (dir. Andrei Ujică) – July 20th, 7:45 PM, with the special participation of the director.
- The trial (dir. Claudiu Mitcu, Ileana Bîrsan) – July 20th, at 10:00 PM
- Pororoca (dir. Constantin Popescu) – July 21st, at 6:45 PM
Moreover, a master class with Andrei Ujică will take place on July 21st, starting at 11:00 AM; the director will discuss about what the Non-fictional New Cinema means and his working method, analyzing the three films included in the section dedicated to him by Ceau, Cinema!
The entire festival programme can be found here.
The 2018 Ceau, Cinema! jury is formed of Alin Grigore (actress), Florin Iepan (director) and Ileana Bîrsan (film critic and script-writer).
The festival will take place in Timișoara, in the hall 2 of the National Theatre, grand hall of the Hungarian Theatre, House of Arts, Summer Garden of the Banat Philharmonic, Ambasada Cultural Centre, and in Gottlob, the first rural locality in Romania which renovated its cinema.
Ceau, Cinema! takes place this year between 19thand 22ndof July in Timișoara and Gottlob (first Romanian village with a renewed cinema), in cinemas and alternative places. For more details, check their official website. This edition’s trailer can be seen here, and more information about the tickets can be found on this link.